Sunday, July 4, 2010

Spaciality of Positive Rap vs. Ghettocentrism

"I haven't come to tell you I got juice
I just produce, create, innovate on a higher level
–I'll be back
but for now just seckle"
- KRS One, My Philosophy

Admittedly I like both sub-genres of rap because both positive rap and ghettocentric rap (see readings for week 3) are using language that is relevant to their environment and circumstance in most cases. Just as ghettocentric rap is regarded for "keeping it real" the positivity in for example, KRS One's "My Philosophy" is also keeping it real from a intellectual perspective:
"It aint about money cause we all make dollars
thats why I walk with my head up
when I hear wack rhymes I get fed up".
It sounds as if he was speaking to the commercialization and mockery hip hop and of commercialized rap that sole function is the capitalistic end of commercialization and profits for the record label and CEO and not really in it for the heart in improving the community for African Americans. There are some instances however where he does critique broad generalizations of the African American community which may be a transition from his critique on commercialization, that commercialization relies on stereotype and gross exaggeration to make the record sales:
"Sub MC's be talkin' and talkin'
trying to show how Black People are walking.
But I don't want this way to portray
or reinforce stereotypes of the day:
Like all my Brothas eat chicken or watermelon,
speak broken English and [are] drug sellin'"

This is one of my favorite all time beats. KRS came hella hard on this one with a lot of wisdom that can truly be applied to music today and it still has the same effect on me as it did when I first heard it.

"Fresh for '88 you suckas"

No comments:

Post a Comment